Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sapphire Bliss


















This 4 ounce sapphire colorway was purchased online at Diva Knitting (www.divaknitting.com). A really nice merino wool from Ashland Bay Trading Company. I loved the blue colorway. I split the roving once, then each strip twice more. My goal was to spin it up as thin as I could. In doing this, I learned that in order to spin up thin fiber, you have to have a very tight twist. What I did as I spun was to pump my wheel five or six times before I let it pull onto the bobbin. When I plyed it, I found that I should have pumped the wheel a couple more times. There were some areas of underplying where the spun yarn came apart. This was also my third attempt at chain plying. I learned that if I "grab and pull" halfway rather than the plyed yarn all the way at the orifice causes the ply to run more smoothly with little breakage. I am proud of what I came up with which was about 160-170 yards of yarn in a fingering weight. I'm not sure what I'll do with this. I might just see if it matches the bronze/copper/gold colorway yarn in the previous post to see what I can come up with.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment